Lone wolf

Craig Walker WA6RPRaAOL.COM
Mon Sep 17 06:08:22 PDT 2001

Dear (somewhat jaded) friends,

I read with interest George's post re the wolf incident. I have had many run
encounters with coyotes here in the American west, and in all but two notable
cases, they fled.  In Nova Scotia in 1997 we met a large coyote on the trail
who refused to budge.  At a distance of only 3 m. we stared at one another
until I spread out my arms as big a possible and then the animal split.
Later that day the trail was closed because of other aggressive incidents.
We met wolves in Alaska, but they always ran.  I agree with George that the
greatest risk for most hikers/bikers anywhere is the local dog.  I bring with
me a can of Gillette Gel, as shaving cream.  It squirts out a stream about 10
feet, and is extremely effective in getting rid of aggresive dogs, yet is
only soap (and the bad dogs will be cleaner for your having passed by).  The
can itself is only about 2" x 7" and is easy to carry, and of course I use it
for shaving too.  But please note that I know a lot more about shaving than I
do the Camino.

Best
Craig