Hiking Sandals (was re Equipment)

Steve Bean ultrrnnraCTS.COM
Sun Sep 16 22:05:26 PDT 2001

James - I think that the choice of footware has to be personal - In my
case, my boots would have sufficed for the complete trip (5 weeks), but
there were blisters - With sandals, there were none - I'm not sure how
wet it will be in March, as my experiences with the Camino are in May
and June - I understand it could be very wet, and it will be cold in the
mountains, maybe even snow -

Hiking sandals are very thick-soled sandals with a soft inner 'foot'
area - Velcro straps - Check out Road Runner sports, they may have them
- Check out 'Trail Sandals' - That may be a more accurate designation -
Also, check out Moving Shoes in Pacific Beach - Just make sure that they
have a good thick tread and are flexible, leather - Socks were regular
athletic socks, nothing special - My sister wore 2 pairs, one nylon, as
your son-in-law recommended - She got blisters -
Sandals are great once you get used to them with the added benefit that
they are much lighter than boots - Something you'll appreciate after a
20 - 30 kilometer day!

Ultreia,  Steve