Equipment

Steve Bean ultrrnnraCTS.COM
Sun Sep 16 17:17:44 PDT 2001

Rae - As a  recently returned hiker, I think the advice you're getting
is great - My one comment would be on foot gear - I hiked from St Jean
for the first half of the Camino in hiking boots, broken in and very
comfortable - A few minor blisters, etc. I switched to hiking sandals,
which I purchased over there, for the rest of the trip and absolutely no
problems - No blisters, no hot spots, etc. The soles  are thick enough
that, even hiking in light rain, your socks don't get wet - We had some
moisture for the beginning of the trip, wet socks thru the boots, and
wet weather coming into Santiago (normal!) no wet socks - I'm a runner
and cyclist, so maybe my feet are tougher than most - Conversely, my
sister hiked with me, wore hiking boots, again well broken in, and
developed blisters within 4 - 5 days - She was practically out of the
game for the remainder of the trip - She took buses while her feet
healed (which they didn't), hiked some, more buses, then we hiked into
Santiago together the last day, 19 kilometers - It was pretty tough on
her  (However, her overall Camino experience was incomparable and
fulfilling) - So, my next trip will be in sandals, for sure - Hers, I
don't know

Pack light, buy it over there - I even dumped my sleeping bag - You will
be provided for -

Ultreia,

Steve