Camino in Galicia

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Sat Sep 8 14:57:40 PDT 2001

Robin,

I agree with you.  I was very happy to take the longer route via Samos, as I
wouldn't have wanted to miss the monastery!  But those murals...they were
rather startling.  The building itself gave me such a sense of antiquity, but
the murals really spoke to the real religious hisotry of Spain and the
Church.  I'll come out and say it - they gave me the creeps!  No offense
intended, of course. :-)

I also adored Samos because of the river walk.  I highly recommend to anyone
staying at Samos to go behind the monastery.  You will see a road extended up
to the left.  Follow it for a very short while and there will be a nice sign
directing you to a preserved, flagstone-paved walkway.  You will find a very
beautiful and peaceful walkway along the river.  It's nice if you need to get
away from the refugio for awhile, or just need to be by yourself.  If you
have a thing for faeries and folktales (which I do), the path puts you right
in the middle of a faery forest.

As for routes being closed... in late June, the path was sometimes muddy, but
certainly passable - and oh so green!  I don't think you will have much of a
problem at this time of year.

May your Camino be joyous E.O.!
Blessings,
Gabrielle