book re the spiritual aspect

lin galea caminante93aHOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 16 09:49:44 PDT 2001

Dear Donald,
thank you for the interesting references to the spiritual aspects of the
camino:
I had much the same feelings about my backpack.  I spent the first week
unloading but unable to let some of the things go.  I carried them around
for about a week intending to mail them off.  I never could find a post
office open.  Finally, one morning in Najera I let them go and walked on.  I
was very tired that day and walked alone so that no one could see the tears
streaming down my face.  By the time I had reached Villafranca I could ot
imagine giving up my back pack to Jato to take up to the top for me.  It was
part of me.  At the same time, I too loved the simplicity and order of
having everything I needed in such a small container.
When I returned home, I began an ongoing process of unloading stuff.  First
my closet --I got rid of everything but a few Items that I loved to wear.
Then old books, etc.  Also, while on the Camino, I had lost about a quarter
of my total weight.  Letting go ws defiitely a big camino lesson for me.
lin galea
san francisco

her way to Santiago - the changing way the same writer talks about Encounter
and Prayer, the Back pack, sellos/stmps, staff, etc. at before the journey,
at Vezalay, at Roncesvalles, at Santiago, and back home, also her changing
become, by the end of the Camino, full of new spiritual meaning for her.  I
immediately recognized the transformations of these objects and images in
the pilgrim's experience.  The changes were subtle, but important, two
examples (and I'm quoting from the book here):
Backpack-
Before the journey: how to keep it as light as possible.  I always leave
things behind that cannot be carried.  Still this one is going to weigh
heavy.
Vezelay: still a heavy weight, I will have to leave even more behind
Roncesvalles: a burden one never gets used to, but it belongs to the journey
Santiago de Compostela: Started getting used to it on the camino.  With only
the backpack life was better ordered, than with all the superfluous luggage
we had earlier when the car drove along
back home: putting it on was quite a ritual, before leaving.  From a burden
it became a part of myself, sticking (literally and symbolically) to my
back.  How well-ordered life was,  walking with only my backpack.
Two  years later: how wonderful it is being able to live with so few
possessions.
Staff-
Before the journey: Maybe I will need it, but not from the start.
Vezelay: Symbol, still no useful instrument for me.
Roncesvalles: an Aid on small, rocky roads.
Santiago de Compostela: Indispensable for the sloops and descents.  When we
had to cross small rivers.  I found it difficult to accept that I had used
it as a clothes-line
Back Home: My support, my third leg, became part of me.  Why did I leave it
on the way home in the train.  A support, also emotionally.
Two years later: Symbol of holding on, going on.
(The Modern Pilgrim, p. 211)

I'm glad for the question and hope we can come up with more resources.  It's
the part of our sharing that important practical questions and swapping of
happy stories can crowd out.  I suspect it's also something most of us want
to find some way to talk about.

love,
donald