Taste test

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Mon Oct 15 11:37:10 PDT 2001

Dear Rae,

First time on the Camino I wore a good, well-broken-in pair of Swiss Reichle
boots (I'm not sure of the spelling).  This was an excellent pair of boots
that I had hiked in many times before (two to three days' hiking at most).
Not realizing the particular strain that many days of walking would make, I
made two serious mistakes.  One is that I bought brand new very heavy 'trek'
socks and wicking liners for the camino, not necessarily a mistake unless it
changes the fit of the boot, but it did change the fit too radically for me
in my old, beloved boots.  The other is that I didn't realize that hiking
boot insoles need periodic replacement.  My well-broken in boots had insoles
that were pounded down to a construction-paper thickness, nothing.  So,
though before walking the Camino, I wore my boots daily, went on day hikes,
and had no trouble, my feet were in for a beating and I didn't know it.

We began at St. Jean, but by Zubiri I had blisters on the bottoms of my feet
- balls of the feet, toe pads, and heels.  I learned many 'cures' for
blisters, including eventually (in Rabanal) one that actually did work.
When I finally learned, somewhere after Leon, that the problem was that my
insoles were worn-out, I couldn't find a place that sold hiking boot insoles
for several days.

My other problem with those Reichle boots (and I say this in retrospect and
now having walked in other boots), is that they were too hot.  With new
insoles I used them last winter in Yosemite, and it was like having old
friends back.  But I found all leather boots too hot for the camino in
summer for my feet.  Hot, sweaty feet are likelier to swell, and hot damp
skin is more blister prone.

Before returning to the Camino this spring (May), I decided to purchase new
boots.  I went to R.E.I. and spent about two hours on this boot purchase.
The salesperson was a very experienced hiker and was extremely helpful.  I
got a new pair of Lowa's.  (I don't know if they're the model you named
2. Lowa Klondike GTX Mid Strata).  In the same expedition to R.E.I. wife
also got new boots, different make, and also loved hers.  Along with
offering us lots of time to walk in the store in different boots and
thinking with us about terrain and conditions, the salesman gave one
sterling piece of advice - stop and fix blisters as soon as you feel them
beginning.  If they trouble you later, stop again and fix them again.
Compeed, moleskin, all these good products are most useful if used in speedy
intervention, rather than on a BIG sore after a whole day.

My Lowa's have Goretex and breathing panels, they proved quite adequately
waterproof for streams up to the ankle bone (though if you are fording
streams and the depth is over the top of your boots, waterproof is
irrelevant).   In May I crossed some calf-deep waters barefoot to keep my
boots dry.  My wife waded through once and we learned that it takes a very
long time to dry out the soaked inside of your boots.

This return walk, I also took a second, somewhat differently shaped insole
set and pairs of socks that fit the two configurations.  This is very, very
little additional weight and allows a little relief to feet by subtly
changing the shape of walking surface and altering the fit enough to offer
respite, but not so much as to squeeze the feet or let them rattle around.
Also following the advice of my R.E.I. salesman, I shifted to my Birkenstock
sandals late in the day when the terrain was easy and allowed it.  First
time I'd carried them for day-end wandering in a destination town.  This
time I did some walking in them, again to give my feet a change and break.

love,
donald