Help on heights

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Thu Oct 11 15:24:23 PDT 2001

Elyn,

My Michelin Atlas of Iberia gives 1109m for Cebreiro and 1057m for Ibañeta,
which appears to be the highway pass just north of Roncesvalles. It looks like
the true highway crest over the Pyrenees is at Arnéguy, further north, but
there is no elevation marking given there. Another pass, just a bit east of
Ibañeta is marked as 1092m. Somport is marked as 1650m (about the same as
Denver). I hope that this is timely and useful.

I have just completed reading a book about the making of the 1996 IMAX film
about Everest and it makes elevations below 2000m seem rather miniscule. In
the Himalayas, 6000m is just a starting point, with the major peaks towering
over 8000m..

regards,

Bob