Priscillian and the goose legends

Preston Pittman preston_pittmanaHOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 30 11:17:11 PST 2001

Elyn, you mentioned that the Bunuel movie had references to Priscillian of
Avila.  I had forgotten that (but then I saw what I did of the movie 15 - 20
years ago).  I was always intrigued by the possible connection between
Priscillian and the "goose" clues all along the Camino pointed to some
occult link or the pre-Christian Celtic pilgrimage route to Finisterre.
Priscillian, as a Bishop, fought the conservative powers in the Church for
the rights of women to participate in the liturgy.  When he wouldn't let up,
even after being warned, it seems that his foes, fellow bishops, drew up
charges against him saying that he had committed adultry with the women of
his diocese and had even participated in orgies.  When they couldn't make
that stick (no one would testify against him) they charged him with
witchcraft and sent him off to a tribunal in Germany where he had no
support.  St. Martin of Tours tried to intervene for him. (This is the same
St. Martin who is often associated with the symbol of the goose). I believe
I read that St. Martin even got a stay of execution after Priscillian had
been convicted but it arrived to late or was perhaps delayed on purpose by
other conservative persons at the Vatican.   The legend was that his body
was taken back to Santiago and buried.  Later, his bones were mistaken for
those of Santiago and the Cathedral was built up over the tomb.  That's a
version of the legend I've heard.  I've also heard that Priscillian is
buried in another church along the Camino.  I can't remember but I know I
have it in my files.  I'ed have to look it up unless someone else remembers.