middle ages pilgrim numbers--urban legend?

Watson, John watsonjaTRINITY.VIC.EDU.AU
Mon Nov 19 15:04:34 PST 2001

Barry
No doubt the figures are legendary. There is no REAL PROOF that Francis of
Assissi really walked to Compostela (I believe he did), we certainly don't
know the year he walked, and all figures of the Middle Ages are rubbery.
Just look at the reports of dead in major battles.
What we have to realise is that there were (and are) many pilgrim routes to
Compostela. There is a Spanish map I have (at home and I'm now at work - the
kids are doing their maths test) which shows a cobweb of routes all over.
 From the tenth to the twelfth centuries, I have read, somewhere between 100
000 and 250 000 pilgrims annually arrived at Compostela, large numbers
walking from Corunna.
Refugios in the old days such as at Villafranca del Bierzo were built to
accommodate 300. No doubt they were often full to overflowing, with crowds
sleeping in churches and monasteries. Would Villafranca have sheltered 1000
a night? For 200 nights, that would be 200 000 pilgrims, but many of those
would be on their return journey.
We can never arrive at a true number, big numbers are possible, but a
million? Gee, I dunno ...
John