middle ages pilgrim numbers--urban legend?

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Mon Nov 19 14:25:35 PST 2001

Barry:

It is highly unlikely Saint Francis found himself in the company of one
million other pilgrims. Since most peregrinos at that time were other
inhabitants of Europe, this figure is almost certainly exaggerated. At the
end of the Roman Empire in the west, there were about 700,000 people in the
area of present day modern Germany. Those numbers gradually rose to 3
million in the year 1000. By the thirteenth century there were as many as 12
million, but that was the high point of the middle ages. France's numbers
are about the same.

Spain's population is hard to estimate because of the uncertainties created
by the destruction of records during the reconquest. However, there were no
more than a million living in Portugal between the years 1250 and 1350.
These numbers dropped to under 600,000 following the black death in 1348.
The plague killed one in three Europeans. It took another century before the
Portuguese population topped one million again. This demographic pattern was
consistent throughout Europe from the fifth century through the sixteenth.

Saint Francis would have made his pilgrimage to Santiago between the years
1212 and 1219. While the issue remains disputed, there were probably fewer
that 70 million inhabitants in all of western Europe at that time. There
were not even 100 Knights Templar protecting the whole camino.

I suspect the one million a year pilgrim figure in the thirteenth century is
"Biblical".