Donkeys and the Camino

Howard Murphy HmcellardykeaAOL.COM
Mon Nov 19 11:59:00 PST 2001

In a message dated 19/11/01 17:09:04 GMT Standard Time, BlaroliaAOL.COM
writes:

> Subj:       Donkeys and the Camino
>  Date:    19/11/01 17:09:04 GMT Standard Time
>  From:    BlaroliaAOL.COM (Rosina Lila)
>  Hello you all,
>  You may remember that when Howard MURPHY completed his pilgrimage, a
couple   of months ago, he told us about the problems he encountered dealing
with the  use of a cart and donkey which he had engaged for the Camino.
>  Many pilgrims have sought to use donkeys as porters of the backpacks, or to
>  carry tents and cooking utensils to avoid the time constraints of the
>  albergues, or, on occasion, to help carry small children.
>  A network has been established for those interested in the use of donkeys.
>  You may access it at:       plateroayahoogroups.com

Dear Rosina,
Thank you for the news of the network re. Donkeys.
I will be pleased to become a member of this important group, it will
definitely be of interest to many more people who are interested in making
the Santiago de Compostela Pilgrimage but as in my own situation suffer poor
health and a lack mobility.

Your message showed how selfish I have been in not passing on the details of
my great disappointment and the large financial loss.

The loss in monetary terms of over one thousand pounds sterling plus the
extra costs of twelve days car hire and gasoline.

Plus of course the greatest losses of all:
The loss of eighteen days of pilgrimage.
The experience of making the pilgrimage as close to the original way as
possible.
The loss of eighteen days of camino fellowship.
The loss of personal confidence.

All this after making many enquiries as to the background and ability of the
people involved.

The loss of money is even more important to a person who cannot work, whose
only income is that of social benefit.

Still, I have always believed that whoever steals from me or hurts me in any
way will in turn suffer these things to a much more greater extent.

I will write the details and send them to the list as soon as possible.
Every Blessing.
Howard

Howard Murphy
81 George Street