Finisterre add-on

Barry Evans barryevans9aYAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 1 07:24:00 PST 2001

I'd just add to EO's (congratulations EO!)
comments about starting a bit farther west than
Leon if youi've only got a couple of weeks, and
perhaps going on to Finisterre.
The 3-day walk to Finisterre was one of the best
parts of our entire camino (Sept. 2001) from St
Jean, despite the rain.
There's a fair bit of information available on
the web about this "add-on" trip but a couple of
caveats:
the "new" flechas amarillas route from the
cathedral is MUCH better than the old route
following the old route along the N-543 (I think
that's right) thru Vidan...we had 6 km of
dangerous heavily-traficked narrow main road, our
buddies avoided almost all of it by just
following the arrows
it's closer to 90km than 80 or even the 75 stated
in The Way of St james-A Walker's Guide
Nice refugios at Negreira and Olveiro. We heard
that the hostal at Cee (open to all, not just
peregrinos) was pretty bad
OK hostal at Finisterre (only for walkers until
about 9 pm, then they allowed bussers to stay (no
big deal it seems, you pretty well know long
before if there will be space)
The last day, especially Olveiro to Cee and for
the middle section between Cee and Finisterre
were gorgeous. Especially the first few km beyond
Olveirro, some of the best scenery ever.
first bus in the morning back to Santiago 7 am,
next to a little bar if you need that caffeine
fix first. Takes 2 1/2 hours. Have the driver
drop you off a next-to-last stop if you're
heading for old Santiago.
Be happy to answer any questions about this.
barry

=====
Barry Evans (barryevans9ayahoo.com)
217 Second Street, Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476 8317; Cell (650) 823 2421

"Search, whose motive is discontent, can only lead to some form of illusion."
                                Krishnamurti