Shoes and over the ankle imperative

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Fri May 25 03:58:11 PDT 2001

Imperative is a rather strong word to use. I had low cut, lightweight wlking shoes (not running shoes) and had no problems with the terrain. Any foot soreness that I had was not really very much different than what I have experienced hiking around home. This year I didn't even have a blister problem. I had used the same make, model, and size of shoe last year and had toe blister problems during the 2nd through the 4th week, but then it cleared up. The problem was that size 13 was available only in medium widtrh. I had them stretched once, but apparently that was not enough. This year, I got a new pair and also increased the sock thickness by using very thin inner socks. This time, I had the
stretching treatment done three times and that did the trick. Not a single blister.

I always used to use big, heavy, over the ankle boots backpacking in the Sierra Nevada, which has much rougher terrain than anything I encountered on the pilgrimage routes and I am convinced that the business of ankle protection is a myth.