JACOBEAN WEEK

Delphia Dirks delphiadaEARTHLINK.NET
Sun May 13 11:20:06 PDT 2001

Hi Patty:

I am using   http:/www.parlo.com   ....  when I first found it it was
completely free, but they have revised their system and charge for lessons.
I am paying $39 for 12 lessons of "travel spanish".   Each lesson is quite
long and has native speaker conversations,  a  number of exercises, tests,
etc. with immediate feedback.  My problem is that their new system isn't yet
'fully up' for Macintosh (which I have) but I muddle through.  You need
RealPlayer (free) to use it.   Downside is that it is mostly Latin American
spanish, but I thought the lessons were well laid out and would provide good
grammar and sentence structure so went ahead and purchased it and am
enjoying it.  It has a lot of the questions you / we will want to be asking
on the Camino.

Then I go to   http://www.studyspanish.com/    which is almost all Spanish
Spanish....  and use the free part... and so far this is all I have time
for.  I provides pronounciation for ALL of the alphabet, plus dipthongs,
etc. etc.  and other exercises.   It also has a pay component, but it is a
12-disc thing, and more than I wanted at the moment.    There is a
translatio option on this also... you can put in something in either eng. or
spanish and it will translate it... but not always ..sometimes you get back
a word you put in, but it is useful.   --- However, if you use the Parlo.
you should have a word translator on the botton of the page... it used to be
there, but I don't see it on my Mac.   (mac problem I think... which parlo
is working on)

Then there is:    http://www.lingolex.com/spanish.htm   --- which will send
you the 'word of the month'    if you sign up for it.  Of course, it has
other goodies as well.  --This comes from 'Elmadrid' , a school in Madrid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/languages/spanish/talk/11fro.shtml   is of
course from the british broadcasting service and is spanish spanish.  some
nice exercises, and if you could tune in to their  radio broadcasts you
coule match up more.

Of course, there are a many more... I am using mostly Parlo.com and 'study
spanish'  at present.

You can put 'spanish language lessons' into yahoo (or ay) search, and be
overwhelmed by the number of possibilities.

I may forward you an email or two on the same subject ....

I wish I had more time to study, but think I'll be able to manage... will
make myself a little list of necessary questions (will possible ansswers
:-)... and go from there.    I cannot learn a language by hearing people
speak it... I have to know in advance that there is such a word, how it is
spelled, etc.  It is an all-fronts job for me.

Buena suerte   (good luck, as you probably know!  :-)

I actually plan to go to the language/book store and get some tapes so that
I can listen while I am on my pracice-walks.  I've managed 10 miles a few
days, and might as well be listening.... can't pray all the time!!

Where do you live in California?  I have visited Pasadena a few times,,,
have a sister who lives there on  E Orange Grove....

HOpe this helps...   I am planning to go sometime in August.  After I get
back from a family reunion in Wall, South Dakota  (the middle of the US and
maybe the world!! :o)...

--delphia dirks
washington, DC