new list member, leaving to walk the Camino this month

Nick Hayes clubnickaEROLS.COM
Wed May 2 12:48:47 PDT 2001

Randy,   may the force be with you,  literally and figuratively.

I took 3 teenagers from SJPP tp Santiago last year and I hope you are in shape
because my lot were walking machines. They set a sufficient pace that we made
Rancevalles in 7 1/2 hours...

SJPP has quite a lot of low to moderate cost accomodation.  I stayed in  a
"gite d'etape",  a very basic
shelter.  bunks, rudimentary kitchen,  shower.  I would suggest that you go up
market a bit.
A good nights sleep before you start day 1 of the Camino is imporrtant for
strength and enjoyment.
and a modest hotel would give you that.

35 days for the trip will do it,  ( see previous reference to walking
machines)   We usually started at about 6 45 AM and had done our 15 to 20 miles
by 2 PM.  This was not a crazy as it sounds.   My teens wanted bunks not floors
to sl;eep on and being at the refugios by 2 Pm was what it took at that time.