Passports and Stamps

Deanna cassiesmomaEARTHLINK.NET
Fri Mar 30 11:11:44 PST 2001

Dear Friends,

   It seems all the information out there on this Camino is for
people who already 'know'.  Can anyone tell me where to go to learn about
'how' to do this?  (From an willing ingorant's perspective!)

Thank you!

Deanna Gomes

----- Original Message -----

From: Maryjane Dunn

To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu

Sent: 3/30/01 10:38:14 AM

Subject: Re: Passports and Stamps

Perhaps a clarification for our newer members...

The "stamps" are not postage-type stamps, but are rubber-stamped seals
which

are used by the pilgrim office in Compostela to verify that the person
in

question has actually walked, biked, or "horsed" the Route before they
issue

the "Compostelana"--a lovely (it actually used to be lovelier, bigger and
on

better quality paper) Latin document that says, essentially, "This
person

was a pilgrim to Compostela".

For the Pilgrim Office the importance is in proving that the person
has

traveled a minimum of the last 100 km on foot (bike or horseback) to
obtain

the document. Along the route the stamps are important proof that you are

"real" pilgrim (please, let's not start that discussion again!) and
entitled

to lodging at the refugios along the way, and to buy the
special-price

pilgrim's meal that is available in many restaurants.

Maryjane

  I'm new to this.  Do people really walk for the "stamps" or
do

  they walk for

  the experience?  Do "stamps" make the journey or can the
journey

  be complete

  without the "stamps"?

--- cassiesmomaearthlink.net