questions from 1st timer

Mary Virtue maryvirtueaHOME.COM
Mon Mar 19 15:21:02 PST 2001

Dear Kenneth,
I'm concerned that you want to rent a bike.  I cycled two years ago and
can't imagine trying to get used to another bike.  I assume you are
taking your own panniers?  We took our bikes from home.  They were our
only piece of luggage.  We then carried our panniers on as hand luggage.

If you do want to rent a bike, Pamplona is probably the best town and
it's easy to get a taxi to Roncevalles from there ($25-30).
As far as bike shops, repairs etc. go, the Confraternity in London lists
them in the cyclists guide to the Camino.  Well worth the purchase.  The
ride is not particularly difficult, although it would be wise to have
some training hours put in.  The hardest day for us, was what looked
like the easiest day on the map......45 km on the flat meseta against a
strong westerly wind.  Our skin felt like rhinoceros hide at the end of
the day!

As far as keeping in touch with those back home, only your cell phone
company will be able to tell you if they operate in Europe.  email is
great as you can set up a group list before you go.  Everyone gets the
same message, but you time is not taken up in internet cafes.
Buen camino!
Mary