walking soon

George M. DeVoe, Jr. GDevoeaRIMCO.COM
Mon Mar 19 07:16:41 PST 2001

Michael:
If all you are going to do is to put your pack in your canvas bag and then
store the bag, I have another suggestion.  Like you, I do not want to ship
my backpack on a plane with the straps exposed, etc.  My daughters have
spent months traveling the world with backpacks and their solution is that
before they check their packs on airplanes, they put them bags in
lightweight nylon sleeping bag sacks (the kind used for long term storage,
not the compression sacks).   These sacks are very strong (if they rip, you
can repair them with duct tape) and very lightweight are available at REI
and other camping goods stores for less that $10.  After you pick up your
pack at the baggage carousel, just take your pack out of the sack, stuff the
sack in your pack and you are on your way.   The sacks are also good for
spreading on the ground for food breaks.

George M. DeVoe, Jr.
gdevoearimco.com