2000 Pilgrims

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sat Mar 10 17:23:25 PST 2001

The only information thus far available from the Santiago Archdiocese for the
year 2000 covers only October.  I presume that the information for the entire
year will be obtainable presently.

In October, 2000, 3,250 pilgrims obtained the Compostela; 2,054 were men and
1,196 women.  84.3% walked, 15.26% went by bicycle, 11 went on horseback and
3 on wheelchairs.
95% declared their purpose to be religious and religious/cultural, and 5%
stated their purpose to be solely cultural.
33% of the pilgrims were under 30 years of age, 54% between 30 and 60, and
13% were over 60 years old.
What is markedly different from the whole numbers in 1999 was the provenance
of the pilgrims. While Spaniards constituted 88% of the 1999 pilgrims, in the
month of October, 2000, they only composed 46% of the total.  Of those coming
from other countries, the largest group was from France, 12%, followed by
Brazil, 10%, Germany 8% and other countries in smaller numbers, including
Japan, Israel, Iceland and South Africa.

The number of pilgrims during October, 1999, the Jacobean Holy year was more
than three times greater (10,275)
It appears that the twenty million pilgrims who went to Rome during 2000, the
Roman Holy Jubilee year, made a dent in the Camino numbers.  While I was
walking the Camino last Summer I was surprised by the number of people I met
who were going backwards, from Santiago to Rome.  Many had landed in
Portugal, had stopped in Santiago and were making their way to the Pope's
youth meeting, which ran into the millions.
Some albergue and hostel people mentioned, in the summer of 2000, that the
number of pilgrims was larger than the year before; yet the Archdiocese
figures show the contrary.  I wonder if pilgrims going backwards also stayed
at the albergues. They, of course, would not have gotten the Compostela.
Well.... if I can get the figures for the entire year 2000, which seem to be
of much interest to many of you, I will post them forthwith.

Fond regards

Rosina