Celtic Connections

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Sat Mar 10 09:43:39 PST 2001

A few years ago I did research for an article, "A Living Fossil? In Search of
Celtic Heritage in Galicia, Spain," published in The World & I magazine,
April 1999. I interviewed an archeologist as well as members of the Celtic
League of Galicia. Briefly, I learned that most people believe the Celts
settled several millenia ago in what we call Galicia, and later (realm of
legend, now) sailed from Galicia to conquer Ireland! There do appear to be
Celtic village/fort remains, the castros, in Galicia, although at least one
source I read says we can't really identify them as Celtic...

This history (or perhaps pseudohistory) was forgotten for a long time but
revived/embellished by the Galician writer Eduardo Pidal in the 19th century.
He led a highly successful Celtic revival movement, with romantic epics
proclaiming that the Gallegos were not Spainards but Celts, with a glorious,
heroic past. (One has to ask why nobody wants to claim being of Visigothic
descent!)

In recent years, the Celtic revival has continued apace. Gallego musicians
play Celtic music, including with the Chieftains! I myself thought the
presence of the gaita in Galicia was absolute proof of ancient Celtic
connections, but I was informed that the gaita was probably brought to
Galicia in (I think it was) the 17th century from Scotland, and that it is
found in many other countries, not just Celtic ones..

The Leage of Celtic Galicia, founded in 1996, strives to support research
into the Celtic origins and identity of Gallegos: I quote from my interview
with one of the organizers, Mhor: "The LCG believes it is important to awaken
within the Galician people an interest in being themselves, without alien
customs." They are striving to become part of the pan-Celtic League of
Nations; as of 1999, however, they were not accepted by the other 6 nations
because Gallego is a Romance language, not Celtic.

My interview with the archeologist was quite interesting: he supports the
view that Galician culture is Celtic, part of the "Atlantic culture"
area--quite different from the interior of Iberia in terms of folklore and
customs. It is possible that the queimada tradition is a much-distorted and
popularized version of an ancient Druid cauldron ritual, just as the souvenir
haglike figures for sale in the stores in Santiago are a perversion of the
ancient Druid priestesses... The archeologist told me about many parallels
between Celtic traditions and Gallego folk customs, including legends of the
Little People.

Well, there's lots more that could be said on the topic. There is a
pan-Celtic revival occurring throughout Celtic lands, including
Brittany--whose Celtic roots no one would question. Part tourist draw, part
marketing strategy, part attempt to reclaim or invent an identity that fills
one with pride (as opposed to being a subjugated people).

And then, of course, one can cycle (as in circle, not as in bicycle) back to
the stories of the pre-Christian Camino, that the Camino de Santiago began as
an initiation route for Druids traveling from the sacred forest near
Chartres, who had to travel to Land's End at Finnisterre to see the sun set
into the ocean.... Legends, stories, myths that follow the footsteps of the
Camino, carried by the eager feet and hopeful imaginations of pilgrims
heading toward the unknown...

Buen Camino,
Elyn Aviva