New member-info. requested

Kyle Jensen KyleJensenaPEOPLEPC.COM
Sun Mar 4 10:38:22 PST 2001

Thanks for the reply Mike-

A few more questions if you get a second.  I know most of the blessings occur at the start in Roncesvalles but will there be anything missed by not starting at St. Jean (hiking over the Pyrenees)?  Let's talk shoes....I'm assuming one pair of good quality hiking boots...not to heavy?  Did you find that the refugios had plenty of room during October-and were they open along with bars, restaurants, etc.?  With the cold weather, I'm assuming a waterproof, light, high quality sleeping bag rated to 0?  And hiking attire.....gortex rain gear or winter parka?
I am employed by the state of Iowa as a Park Ranger.  I may not be able to start the journey until Oct. 1 (end of the rec. season)  I'm glad to know that the trek is doable that late in the year.  With travel to and from Spain, 30 days is about all I can muster for walk time.  Hopefully everything will work out?!?!????
Thanks again for the reply.
Kyle Jensen Indianola IA
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Wyatt
  To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
  Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 9:42 AM
  Subject: Re: New member-info. requested

  Hi Kyle --

  I walked last fall (October-November): be ready for rain and surprisingly cold periods (I even had snow and hard freezes), but I would do it again at that time.  You are walking earlier; it shouldn't be as intense.
  I would start at Roncesvalles.  I found no easy way to get from Pamplona to St. Jean, but the bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles was running six days a week.
  30 days means walking pretty steadily, but gives you a couple of days off.  I took five weeks to walk.  I at least did not feel rushed nor did I have major physical problems.  Starting at Pamplona would mean being able to put your feet up (to heal?) once in a while, if all you have available is 30 days.  If you can extend the time, do so.

  Buen Camino!

  Michael