St Rocco & Sto. Nino de Atocha

Maryjane Dunn mjdunnaTXUCOM.NET
Thu Mar 1 06:43:57 PST 2001

Sorry I don't have an answer, but as long as we're searching and asking
questions...
You may also look for info about the Santo Nino de Atocha. In spite of his
name (Atocha--like the bus/Metro? station) I don't really recall having seen
his image ever in Spain. He is quite popular in the U.S. southwest, however.
When I lived in Espanola New Mexico, I ran across several people who would
say that he had visited them/their property. He's a bit like a naughty
child, running around, leaving his tiny footprints and or shoes where he
visits. He generally is portrayed seated in a throne-like chair that is too
big for him, with a large pilgrim's hat, the cape with shells, and the staff
with a gourd attached.

I've toyed with doing a scholarly paper/investigation about him for years,
but have never gotten around to it.

Maryjane