Security in the Camino

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Thu Jun 28 19:51:07 PDT 2001

Not a problem to leave your backpack in refugios, but take cameras and other
valuables with you when you leave your backpack there.  I heard reports of
"false pilgrims" going to refugios.  Someone took my towel and a good pair of
hiking socks from a clothesline, perhaps by accident or perhaps a theft.
Heard about a new pair of boots disappearing and a camera getting stolen
while someone was checking in.Stayed in refugios 27 nights from May 20 to
June 25, 2001 and seemed very safe to me to leave things on or around your
bed.  If you are worried, get afanny pack and take cash and passport with you
at all times even to the showers.  Howard