NYC pilgrims

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sat Jun 23 14:14:03 PDT 2001

Suzanne,
It is not uncommon to see women walking the Camino with girlfriends while
their husbands, or boyfriends, go by car waiting for them from town to town.
I often wondered why the women of such couples were the ones doing the
walking.  But, in essence, the Camino is pretty safe for women.
I met many fellow vegetarians and we had no problems whatever (although most
of us did drink milk and ate eggs and cheese).  The bread over there is
absolutely delicious, as is the cheese.  The vegetables are fresh and tasty
and the fruit simply delicious.  A couple of pharmacists urged me to eat at
least one banana a day (for potassium or something).  Amazingly, after
walking all the way from St. Jeans's to Finisterre (Fisterre, overthere). I
came back to New York almost five pounds heavier, and having walked in the
pouring rain for at least five days I did not get a cold or any similar
ailments.
No,.... I did not sleep outside, and I got most of the pocket maps in
Pamplona at the pilgrims' center there and at the bookstores.  There are maps
and guides in all languages and for all purposes:  for walkers, bicyclists,
etc.; some that show the albergues, their capacities, facilities and
location; some that show the cybercafes, some that show low-cost inns etc.,
etc., etc..  When you are there you can chose the one that will answer your
needs or desires.
As for what to take:  put together the absolute bare essentials and then take
only half (you can find whatever you may need over there easily and
inexpensively enough).  You daily expenses will depend pretty much on what
you want in the way of facilities or comforts.  Some list subscribers have
written that they made do with about $10 a day; I should think that $25-$30
should be sufficient.
If you want to have a fuller understanding of the Camino before you go, I'd
advise you to go the Barnes and Noble (18th St. at Fifth Ave.) and get a book
called "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" by Gitlitz and Davidson; in my
opinion it is the absolutely best of its kind.
If there is some further information that I may give you please send me a
message directly.
Best regards,
Rosina