Shoes /refugios/just returned

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Sat Jun 23 02:05:36 PDT 2001

Just returned June 21 after going from St. Jean to Santiago.  Totally
disagree with Karen.  Hiking boots are a must!  The trail is very difficult
in many places.  Very rocky, hilly and sometimes you have to walk in stream
beds, on mud and wet rocks. In places you have a lot of cow flop and sheep
manure on the path.  I don't believe that anyone can make it easily and
safely with running shoes.  Also, I stayed in every refugio I wanted to get
into and that was 27 out of 32 nights.  I'll admit that some were full by 4
pm which is why it is advisable to get any early start, before sunrise.
Sometimes if you arrive after 2 pm you may have to sleep on a mattress on the
floor.  It might be more crowded in the summer months though. Bring a small
flashlight so you can find the yellow arrows and shells that mark the Camino
before it gets light out.  I'll also admit that I got lost twice as did many
other peregrinos, but you usually can find someone to guide you back to the
trail quickly.