another question - re: rain gear

Nick Hayes clubnickaEROLS.COM
Mon Jun 18 04:05:57 PDT 2001

Delphia,

Just to add a bit to Gene's comment.
- ponchos have the value of being multi purpose. You can use it as a ground
sheet,
   as a a small tent when you stop and restt in the rain.
- they are easy to put on and off, you just sling them over you and your pack.

   Rain jackets require you to take packs off, and pants are a pain in the
neck ( in my humble opinion)
   when the rain starts to come down and you have left putting on your rain
gear til the last minute
   because of the heat it is nice to not have to mess around getting wet while
you put on rain protection.
Things to watch for.
- what ever you buy test them for water tightness before you leave.
  I had two relatively expensive ponchos. One was not water roof. then other
was but leaked at the seams.
  The best one I had cost me $2 from a hardware store
- with  a poncho your legs will get wet...no big deal. As Gene said you will
warm up while walking
   HOWEVER, if you hit a Galego deluge the water running down you legs can
fill up yuour boots pretty quickly
   as I found out to my chagrin.
Solutions for these problems.
- Poncho test....make a "swimming pool" with your poncho and fill it with
water.....wait ten minutes.
- water in boots....I just took some big ziplock bags, cut off one end. Then
when it really rained i slipped them over
my boots, so that one end was above the top of the boots and then used an
elastic band around my ankle to keep them in place and most of the water out.
More low -ech than that you dont find but they worked.

And in the end getting really wet once or twice isnt too bad and gives you
great "war stories"

cheers
Nick