train from Bilbao to Pamplona

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Sat Jun 16 18:45:11 PDT 2001

Dear Delphia,

Valcarlos is only a couple of hours out from St. Jean on the Roman route
over the mountain, now the highway.  Maria (my daughter, sitting next to me
as I write this) reminds me that we ate a late lunch there (we'd left St.
Jean around noon - the train got us there about 11:30).  If we were going
that we again, we'd stay the night in St. Jean to get an early start, and
with an early start we'd go Napolean's route.  Woops, Maria says that's not
'we' speaking.  She'd take the highway route again.  With our noon departure
we didn't get into Roncesvalles until 8 p.m.  Maria adds that we ended up
walking on the highway coming out of St. Jean and taking the longer route
down from the summit because we weren't checking our map when we had
questions.  We learned in the first couple of days that checking the map
when we had a question was important, particularly when questions arise and
there's no camino marker visible or where the camino separates into
alternate routes.

And a reminder to anyone in the Washington D.C. area - Maria and I are in
from the West Coast for a 4 p.m. father's day reading from our book -
My Father, My Daughter, Pilgrims on the Road to Santiago,
that's tomorrow at the College of Preachers on Woodley Road on the grounds
of the National Cathedral (Wisconsin and Woodley Road).

love to all,
donald