Night trains in Spain

Jack Christensen jchristeaSONIC.NET
Fri Jun 15 10:25:12 PDT 2001

Marty,
I took the "Talgo" night train from Santiago to Madrid in May.  Although I'm
a man, some Danish women friends were traveling on the same train.  Men and
women were placed in separate compartments which can be locked.  There was
also an attendent on the car.  I noticed her dozing on an uncomfortable fold
down seat when I went to the bathroom in the night.  So, I know nothing of
the story you mentioned, but reasonable precautions seem to be in place and
none of the European women I traveled with seemed concerned.  Although I was
in a compartment with 3 other men, I noted that there were single
compartments on the train which you could consider. If you're really
concerned, take a plane.  They fly frequently and the cost isn't
unreasonable. Plus, if you time it right and don't want to see Madrid,
you're already at the airport to take your return flight home.

Jack
-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu]On
Behalf Of Marty Robinson
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 8:19 PM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Night trains in Spain

I am a woman planning to take a night train back to Madrid after
walking from Leon to Santiago in July.  Does anyone know if there's
any truth to the story I heard of women being drugged with chloroform
while asleep then robbed - or worse?  I'm feeling a little anxious as
I begin to make plans at the completion of my pilgrimage.
Marty