the Botafumeiro

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Sun Jun 10 07:16:25 PDT 2001

Delphia again,
 It does appear that the Botafumeiro is not brought out at the Santiago
Cathedral after August except for special occasions like Christmas; and, yes,
the Pilgrims' Mass is everyday at 12:00 noon.
In Roncesvalles, however, the Pilgrims' Mass and blessing is at 8:00 p.m.
from Monday to Friday.  On Saturdays and  Sundays it is at 6:00 p.m., and the
Pilgrims' bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles, which leaves Pamplona at 6:00
p.m. from Monday to Friday, leaves earlier on Saturdays and Sundays.  The
albergue at Roncesvalles is quite ample and  has recently been enlarged; many
pilgrims don't go on to SJPP, but I would not want to miss crossing the
Pyrenees, with the mist, and snow, and sounds, and wolves, and the Roldan
monument with the little church nearby that leads lost pilgrims by the
tolling of its bell.  There are blessing services in that church also,  so
moving that pilgrims have left a little mound of impromptu hand-made crosses
right outside it.  Unfortunately, I do not know when the services are held,
or if they are held regularly..... I was just lucky.
Perhaps in the pilgrims' reception area in Roncesvalles, where one gets the
credential, the priest that welcomes the pilgrims would know.
Regards,
Liz (from New York City)