the camino

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Sun Jun 10 06:57:47 PDT 2001

Hi Delphia,
We toook a taxi from the airport into Pamplona (taxis are extremely
inexpensive). We stayed at the Leyre hotel (very nice, and close to
everything) which was obtained through information given by a New York City
parish priest.  (I presume that travel agents, etc., or the Spain tourist
offices have a list of hotels in Pamplona); the hotel was semi-plush and cost
about $50- for two.  We were advised by the NYC parish to book the hotels
ourselves because doing it through travel agents would cost almost double.
The purpose was to get over jet-leg and such and to get orientation.  In
Pamplona we went to the Cathedral and, at the museum, we were told where to
obtain pilgrims' information and assistance.  In fact,  in the street
straight down from the Cathedral's main door (the entrance to the museum is
to the left), at the first intersection. there is a pilgrims' assistance
office-cum-travel-agency; they made the arrangements for us (free of charge)
for the hotel at St. Jean Pied de Port.  It was a lovely inn, at a minimal
cost, but, unfortunately, I do not remember its name.
I am not a Catholic (I am Episcopalian) and   I do not speak Spanish or any
language other than English. Because I did the pilgrimage by bicycle,
eventually I had to go off on my own since my multi-lingual Catholic
companion was walking.  At her suggestion, whenever I was in need of
guidance, places to stay (albergues give preferences to walkers), etc., I
sought the  town's priests or nuns. They were infinitely helpful, despite the
lack of a common language, in directing me, obtaining places for me to stay
and even, on occasion, feeding me!
I was, and continue to be, impressed by their desire to help, their
hospitality, and their efficiency in Camino matters; this is quite
understandable in view of their many centuries experience in these efforts. I
was not, by far, the only pilgrim aided by them throughout the Camino.
If there is anything else that I may tell you, please ask.
Best regards,
Liz