Costs for food and lodging?

Watson, John watsonjaTRINITY.VIC.EDU.AU
Thu Jul 26 15:07:26 PDT 2001

Kathryn
It was much cheaper for me to live on the Camino than it was in Australia.
Americans find it ridiculously cheap. Most publicly-owned refugios
charge/recommend 300 pta per night. In private ones I was charged 500 and
800 but this was rare. A filling evening meal from the Menu de Peregrino or
Menu del Dia was usually 800 pta for entre, main, postre (small dessert),
bread, wine and water! Bottled water was 29 to 79 pta for 1.5 l.
Most general shopping was also cheap. My camera would have cost less in Lugo
than it did Duty Free in Australia. However a Basque beret was dear.
Pharmacies are everywhere and again goods were cheap. Medical care in MOST
Centro da Salud was gratis. In Burgos they really ripped me off, but in US
terms, even private hospital fees are cheap.
Go for it!
All the best
John
www.pilgriminspain.net