A Camino story

Sibley, Robert (ott) rsibleyaTHECITIZEN.SOUTHAM.CA
Wed Jul 25 08:38:57 PDT 2001

Hello. My name is Robert Sibley. I'm a new subscriber to this list and
thought I should introduce myself. I'm a journalist with the Ottawa Citizen,
a newspaper in Canada's national capital. To be brief, I walked the Camino
in the spring of 2000 from St. Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela
(with a side trip to Finisterre). There were numerous blisters, a couple of
dog attacks, and even a bout of food poisoning. But there was also moments
of pure silence, exhilaration and the recovery of memories that past  I
didn't even know I remembered, as well as some great food and lots of wine.
In short, I'm aching to do  it again (and plan to in the fall of 2002).

All of this leads to the admission that my "walk" turned into a series of
articles for my paper's Sunday magazine that may be of interest to others.
(Bear with me: the listserv rules allow me to post "brief" information about
pilgrimage-pertinent material.) For what it's worth, the nine-part series
has won a couple of writing awards -- one from the Travel Writers Society of
America and another from the Religion Writers Association. The weekly
series, which began Nov. 5, 2000 and ended Dec. 30, 2000 can be accessed at
the Citizen's web site: www.ottawacitizen.com/pilgrim/index.html (On the
Citizen's home page -- www.ottawacitizen.com -- you can access the series at
the Special Features list on the left of the screen. Ignore the dating on
the list ... the articles were posted two or three days after the articles
were actually published.) Of course, feel free to print it off.

Naturally, every writer wants people to read his stuff, so I hope
subscribers will find the series interesting,  and helpful. Any questions,
comments (complimentary or otherwise) or advice on my future trek will be
most welcome. I can be reached at rsibleyathecitizen.southam.ca

Cheers
Robert Sibley