walking alone

Howard Murphy HmcellardykeaAOL.COM
Wed Jul 4 07:53:39 PDT 2001

Dear Anna,
Walking Alone.
You have answered this question in your message when you mention
<<<but because many people are walking in summer time ( i'm going there in
August) >>>
But in mentioning that I do understand what you mean. I have made all but one
of my many world-wide travels alone and found it to be the best way for an
independent spirit. However this does not stop you being with someone for the
time it suits you both.

In my own experience I found many young women wanting to travel with 'Papa
Howard.'  If you can adapt to doing your own thing whilst travelling with a
person it has great benefit, On many occasions the young woman would want to
enjoy the atmosphere of a place by paying extra for the pleasure of sitting
at a table outside a restaurant/cafe. I enjoyed the same experience sitting
on a public bench enjoying the same ice cream or standing at the bar to drink
coffee. So we both did what we wanted in our own way whilst also enjoying the
comfort of having a travelling companion close by.

There will be many mature people only too happy to enjoy the companionship
without any commitment both having the choice to say hello and goodbye
without offence.

Due to health problems my travels stopped in 1986 but many of these friends
still keep in touch and in many cases I enjoy the added pleasure of the
extended family
when they have children.

You can also have the friendship of people travelling with you but only
meeting at the beginning and end of the day.

It is your choice but whatever you do, have the courtesy to let people know
what you are doing and then they have no reason to worry about you.

Use your common-sense if a situation feels wrong then move yourself out of it.
Be certain to let others know where, why and what you are doing.
Look after your money by dividing it and keeping it in different places.
If unfortunate to be in a bad situation then do not hesitate to give the
smallest
amount up at once.
Before leaving home photocopy all documents leaving one copy with someone at
home and then placing others in different places such as backpack and so on,
then if you lose anything it helps in obtaining replacements.

When on the journey be sensible where you walk, walk with confidence and in
any darker places keep well away from any shadows and when possible walk in
the middle of trail, path or road.
If a situation feels wrong then it is, move quickly and purposely to a safer
place keeping your head up. In a more desperate time pick your heels up and
run away
never rely on bystanders to help you.

Having taken all the above in your head forget it and enjoy your pilgrimage.
Every blessing,
Howard

Hmcellardykeaaol.com

Howard Murphy                   I will appreciate a post card.
81 George Street
Cellardyke Harbour
Anstruther. Fife. KY10 3AS
Scotland. UK

 <<Thank you very much for consolating me. I think that travelling alone
could be the great experience but still I have some doubts, I am  trying to
be positive. I have never made a walk like that so a little bit worrying but
not very much :-)).>>
<<. but because many poeople are walking in summer  time ( i'm going there in
August)  do you think there will be any problems?
   I would appreciate you advice, >>
   regards,
   Anna >>