On cheating

Russ Irwin rirwinaUSAOR.NET
Tue Jul 3 23:09:55 PDT 2001

As others have written here, I really don't feel that there is any such thing as "cheating" on the
Camino because it is really a *personal* journey. But, having said that, I want to come clean
<grin>. As I wrote here before, I only made it to Belorado, but there was a small portion of that
which I didn't "walk".

The second day out of Roncesvalles was pretty tough after just having crossed the Pyrenees the day
before. My goal was Larrasoana (27 km). After leaving Viscarret and heading toward Linzoain, I saw
the climb ahead and my legs said, "NO WAY!" So I backtracked about a half mile to the highway and
(feeling bad about it) took off my backpack and stuck out my thumb to hitchhike. It took almost a
half hour to get a ride, and then the guy who picked me up was only going to Zubiri. He was familiar
with the Camino though and left me off on it at Zubiri saying it was only another 4 km to
Larrasoana, so I decided to walk it (seemed more like 10 to me at the time).

That was the last time that I ever rode in a vechile, however, till I left Beloado. What I did do
though in many of the days after that, was to walk along the highway when I was feeling that the
trail was getting to me (sometimes a third of the day's walk). Sometimes when the highway and the
trail were within talking distance of each other, other pilgrims would ask why I was walking on
asphalt when to them that seemed harder to do. I could only reply that since I usually walked on
asphalt at home that it was really easier for me. During my walks on the highway I did experience
something that I didn't while I was on the trail. Many cars (and even one big truck) would honk
their horns as they passed me with a big *thumbs up*! That made me feel good.

Now that I have experience, I know what I need to complete the pilgrimage next year and am looking
forward to it.

Russ