getting to st. Jean

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Tue Jul 3 14:54:42 PDT 2001

Hope you don't mind, Elyn.  She just mentioned that the Leki poles are
telescoping so provide some ease in traveling.  Mine is called a Malaki Super
(or something like that) and has a nice spring action in the bottem.  It also
has two different feet, one for asphault and one for rocks, packed earth,
etc.  I found it invaluable because it gave me some superb stability.  When I
was descending into El Acebo, my Leki acted like a mountain goat!  It also
provided a way to keep the blood from poolign in my hands.  Inevitably, they
would be swollen at the end of th eday, and holding th epole in different
hands seemed to help.  I also saw many pilgrims who used two and was told
that this helped with tendonitis.  I don't think one is better than the other
(wooden staff or Leki pole), but I do think one should use something up and
down the more difficult parts.

Hope this helps.

Gabrielle