pilgrimage cheating

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Tue Jul 3 10:49:03 PDT 2001

Maryjane - wise words and they made me smile.  I had decided before I left
that I was not going to add more weight to what I was carrying by being
hell-bent on walking every step.  I remember stepping on that bus and
watching the meseta go by, and yes, for a moment, I regretted taking the bus.
 But when I arrived in Santiago, I met all those wonderful people whom I fell
in love with and whom were must faster than I.  I knew then that I would have
missed them, and many other experiences, if I would have walked.  Not to
mention the fact that I don't think I could have walked, as my heel is what
finally made the decision for me.  Now I know I will return to walk the
meseta in the moonlight as I originally planned.

I shouldn't have used the word "cheated."  I don't feel that I cheated.  I
feel I walked a very long path and experienced the Camino as it was intended.
 I have no regrets.  I learned more about myself, had my faith in people
restored, and saw glimpses of wonder and magic that I would not change for
the world.  From my very first step, I said, OUT LOUD, that this is the path
I am on.  I have chosen it.  I believe that on some level my body, mind, and
spirit knew what I needed to learn and how best to learn those lessons.  If
that is true, than at every step I was exactly where I needed to be and had
exactly what I needed in order to survive.  Repeating that allowed me to
experience every moment at its core.  I feel for the first time in my life,
for every day along the Camino, and for most of the days following,  I have
been truly alive.  And that my intent all along.

Blessings,
Gabrielle