Go Camino from Seattle

George Plaxton gplaxtonaHOME.COM
Tue Jan 9 19:52:04 PST 2001

Hi Donna and Sandi:
Dutch guide to the Camino, I was informed by a Dutch pilgrim on the
Camino that the Dutch guide is in fact a translation into Dutch of the
Guide published by the Confraternity of Saint James of London, England.
The web site of the Confraternity is at www.csj.org.uk and contains a
list of publications offered for sale with the prices etc. There is a
large selection of guides to most of the pilgrimage routes leading to
Santiago. They are relatively inexpensive and are very popular ,
particularly on the part of English speaking pilgrims and a number of
them have been translated into other languages. There are guides for
five routes within Spain and Portugal and four more for routes within
France. The main route from Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port and Roncesvalles to
Santiago which is referred to as The Camino Frances is covered in the
Confraternity's Guide no. 1. It costs the equivalent of about $10 US or
$15 Canadian. There is a supplement to this guide that contains
invaluable practical advice with regard to, for example, where to start
walking or bicycling from, how long does it take, when to go, maps and
other guide books not published by the Confraternity some of which are
stocked by the Confraternity for resale to pilgrims, what to bring with
you, the footwear selection process, how to treat blisters, how to get
to Spain and back home. There is a lengthy discussion concerning the
practicalities of daily life on the Camino, prices in Spain, the pilgrim
passport, accommodations at refuges, hotels and the like, sending and
receiving mail, medical assistance, with lists of things to bring with
you prepared by several experienced members of the Confraternity.
I hope this is of some help. I suggest you might want to start by
visiting the Confraternity's web site.
        I hope this is helpful. Keep the questions coming.

Buen Camino,

George Plaxton