Hello, I'm Jen

Jennifer L. Aiken heniferaIQUEST.NET
Tue Jan 9 08:32:11 PST 2001

Hello,

My name is Jennifer, my friends call me Jen.  I am 36 and a potter by
trade.  I have been "potting", and teaching pottery, for 10 years.  I live
in the US in Indiana.

I first read about Camino de Santiago from Shirley MacLain's book,"The
Camino".  I picked it up because there's a picture of a woman with a
backpack.  I love to backpack/trek and I enjoy reading travel-narratives.
I had no idea what Camino de Santiago was all about.  Her book started out
interesting enough, but then it concentrated more on her spiritual
experience and less on the history, landscape, etc of the Camino.  It was a
good book, but it left me hungry for more information.  What is Camino de
Santiago all about?  Why haven't I heard about it until now?  I'm now
reading "Pilgrim Stories" by Nancy Frey.  It's enjoyable to read, and full
of great information.  Recently, I've been reading many books on
spirituality.  I am beginning to believe things happen for a reason.

SO!  I'd like to walk Camino de Santiago.  I've trekked portions of the
Swiss Alps, *unbelievable* views if you ever get a chance to go.  But, the
Camino calls to me to enjoy it's history, art, music, spiritual experience,
flora and fauna, people, and a nice long walk.

In December, for my birthday, I received two fish from two separate people.
One is a necklace from Africa, another is a fish carved of stone.  Both fit
in the palm of one's hand.  Over the holiday season, I worked for a week in
my brother's restaurant, where I came across a pile of scallop shells, they
do not serve scallops in the restaurant.  To me, these are signs.  For me,
the fish point to St. James, the fisherman.  And of course we all know what
the scallop shells represent.  I cannot ignore these signs!  Such
excitement! :)

I have no questions to ask, only wanted to share what I have experienced
from the Camino thus far.  I am considering walking in May/June of 2002.  I
get excited everytime I read something new regarding the Camino!  I enjoy
reading everyone's emails to this listserv.

Thank you,
Jennifer Aiken