Ancient Trackways

Elyn Aviva TajminaaAOL.COM
Sun Feb 25 08:55:39 PST 2001

I have been exploring the pre-Christian connections of the Camino off and on
for some time, but with only very tentative results. I know that parts of the
Camino follow old Roman roads. I have read/been told told that the Camino was
actually the route followed either by the Atlantans west to the Basque
country (Basque=Atlantan) and then back to the east, as a memory journey--or
it was the route followed by Druid initiates from near Paris (Chartres?) to
the Finis Terra, the ends of the earth, location of an ancient sun cult. And
there are Celtic-type stories about the coast, San Teixido, the crossing over
of the soul to an island somewhere out there where the sun sets... But that's
about what I know. I've traveled the Camino, wondering whether the references
to the goose/oca relate back to Celtic times, and a week or so ago there was
a brief thread on this server (I think it was this one!) about that topic.

Sometimes it feels as if we are telling stories at night over a campfire... A
mixture of legend and memory, of make believe and extrapolation.... I long
for solid proof, but then how could there be, after so many thousands of
years? Maybe the legends are proof...

Buen Camino,
Elyn