The pilgrim certificate

Michael Galvin, PhD mgalvinaBRAIN.UCCS.EDU
Sat Feb 24 18:01:25 PST 2001

I have to disagree with my bicolleague, Bill.

It is not easy to cycle 100 km a day on the Camino and be on pilgrimage. To do 100 km (let alone a "century"), you would have to get up early and stay on the asphalt all the time, and spend no time on churches, coffee, museums, wine, local people, beer, journaling, water, reading guide books, etc.

And you don't have to stay on the asphalt on bikes. I have been on the Chemin/Camino 4 times. Once I did Pamplona - Santiago mostly of the camino de a pie on a touring bike, fully loaded--but that's not easy. Still, cyclists can do a lot of the trail parts.

My wife and I average maybe 30 or 40 a day.

Michael from Colorado
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: bill deutschman
  To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
  Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 4:06 PM
  Subject: Re: The pilgrim certificate

  The church makes the rules are they are different for bicycles.  It is easier to cycle than to walk so they make you travel farther.  It's easy to cycle 100 km in a single day and 100 miles (160 km) is not that hard.   We decided to see most of the museums, churches etc., to stop for morning snacks and afternoon beers and we still averaged about 60 km/day for our 10 week trip and I was pulling a 50 pound trailer.  Our longest day was 115 km, our shortest was still 30km.  I'm surprised that they only require 200 km.

  Many of the refugios wouldn't admit cyclists until 7 or 8 pm so that there would be space for walkers.

  bill deutschman
  olcbillafireserve.net