Apropos of nothing much

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraHOME.COM
Thu Feb 22 16:52:30 PST 2001

Carol Bradley wrote:

>         I am sitting here on the northeastern part of North America looking out at
> white blizzard conditions and a windchill factor of -38 (where the Celsius
> and Farenheit scales converge, I think)

Close. Actually, it is at exactly -40, which is rather interesting to me since this
is just a degree or so below the melting point (or freezing point) of mercury. If you
chill a mercury thermometer of either scale down, it will almost reach -40 and then
disappear out of sight as it shrinks into the bulb and solidifies.