How much should I plan on?

Michael F. Clarken mclarkenaAMICAPITAL.COM
Tue Feb 20 12:33:43 PST 2001

I would suggest that a wise traveller to any country for any adventure will
carry a varied supply of mony (cash, trav checks, ATM and credit cards).  We
planned to rely on our ATM in Spain, from a big bank with a 4-digit PIN #
and found that NONE but TeleBanco took our card.  We would have had to rely
on other pilgrims more than we did had we not had a backup of trav. checks.
They are safe, and fit right into the waistpack.  Since there is no weight
involved, this is one area where I would "overpack"!

I would also be hesitant to recommend "not drinking unless thirsty."
Conventional, medical, and experiential go against that (for me.)  Be
careful regardless of what your water decisions are.  Note, too that a 20km
stretch in the vicinity of Hospital de Obrigo (I beleive) is w/o or w/ only
limited water.

Mike

Mike Clarken
San Diego, CA