Available shelter on trail

christopher hewitt chew6087aHOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 8 10:55:42 PST 2001

Good points Elyn.

For those that have been part of other discussion groups, and JD's in
particular, when we talk of the concept of "the correct way to walk, ride or
drive" the pilgrimage route(which doesn't need to be along any set path, as
all roads lead to Rome, Santiago and your front door), we are really only
talking about our own point of view. While many can agree that there are
some "must sees", "must does", "never does", etc, we all are part of a
common experience made unique by our approach to it, the pilgrimage, the
people we do or do not meet and all of our actual experiences, before, after
and during the pilgrimage.

I would not give up the experience of giggling at night in San Juan de
Ortega as many of us shared that giddy humor of several insistent snorers
taht also brought out the ire in others; nor would I want to erase the
memory of the man who woke me from my wonderful sleep in the doorway of a
church along the Via de la Plata in order to ask if I wanted something to
eat or some hot chocolate.

Michael is correct when stating that the pilgrimage is not meant to be a
simple camping trip, but nor should it be considered a route of expected
handouts or the need to sleep in designated areas. Be unique, or do what
everyone else does. It doesn't matter, follow your heart and your mind. Be
ready to change, and realize your actions and words will inevitably change
others as well.

Peace and smiles to all...

Christopher