Women on The Camino: to MOM

Imelda Fagin imelda4aEARTHLINK.NET
Thu Feb 8 10:21:32 PST 2001

I'm hoping to hear from any women who have walked the Camino by
>themselves.  I'm a 21 year old female who will be walking the Camino alone
>this summer, and my mother is a little bit worried about the whole thing.
>I have no doubts that I will be fine, but it would help if I could relay
>some stories back to her from female pilgrims who have walked the trail
>with no problems.  Thanks for any help!!  Carolyn

Dear Carolyn's Mom: I've travelled in Northern Spain for many years and
want to let you know that the country people tend to have a higher code of
conduct and reserve than here in the USA. I walked alone for 10 days last
year and it was a wonderful opportunity, not only to meet other pilgrims,
who certainly did walk with me until I sent them on their way, but also I
had great encounters with men and women who lived along the route. So
encourage your daughter to learn some Spanish. The people there are very
tolerant of mistakes and happy when someone tries to communicate. And they
are curious about us and extremely generous - at least talk wise! I'm also
very familar with Galicia, the end of your daughter's journey. The people
there are even more reserved and quiet. The most difficulties I've ever had
was the "staring in the bar" sort of situation. What was I doing in a bar
you ask? In Spain, bar's are family places: children running around, men
and women having coffee as well as drinks and snacks. Bar means small cafe
essentially.
Another important point is that walking the Camino is hard work. Yes, she's
21 and looks good most of the time, but its the kind of walking where your
deoderant fails you, you're sweaty and dirty by day's end. And maybe
hungry, tired, grouchy and your feet hurt. And THEN you've got to stop to
do your laundry and forage for food.  It does not lend itself to being a
sex object.
To be honest she will sleep with a lot of men. And take showers with them.
In the refugio's that is. It takes some getting use to. But remember,
nudity is not a big deal in Spain, where boys walk right past topless women
at the beach without batting an eye. And sleeping with someone means just
that: Sometimes the bunkbeds are close together. One night I found a
strange man's foot on my pillow. But everyone is so exhausted that once
they're horizontal they are asleep. Tell her to bring earplugs because
Spaniards snore tremendously loud.
In other words, it will be hilarious, weird, exhilirating and wonderful. An
experience of her lifetime. Good luck.                  Imelda