The Way in April

Joseph Kohut bvjkaODIN.PDX.EDU
Sat Dec 29 17:06:10 PST 2001

I've been asked why start the Camino in April. Here is why:

I intend to leave the US on 23rd April. Fly to Madrid, then to Pamplona.
Stay a day in Pamplona to recover from jet lag and see something of the
city. 25th take the bus to Roncesvalles, attend the pilgrim mass and acquire
a credential. Leave early on the 26th by taxi for St. Jean Pied du Port and
begin walking in earnest. Why the 26th? Because it will be my 64th birthday.
Besides, I assume that many pilgrims will start on 1 May when the Accueil
Saint Jacques opens and begins issuing credentials. I would like to be a day
or two ahead of the pack.

I am also leaving in April because I understand that later in the season it
may be difficult to find an empty place in refugios, especially as I get
closer to Santiago and vacation season starts.

Finally, I understand that by the time I come to the meseta, it will be mild
and green. Not, dusty, brown and hot as later in the year. I expect rain,
but not snow, unless I encounter some in the Pyrenees. (Since I am a
resident of the Northwest, USA, I am accustomed to rain.)  I am an ultra-lit
backpacker, but will take sufficient light-weight but warm clothing to
weather any cold. Remember you will be moving most of the time and
generating heat.

One more thing: a good friend of mine, a geographer, did the camino by
bicycle a couple of years ago. He recommended late April-May-early June
because he found it a pleasant journey, in regards to climate, scenery, etc.
We shall see.

I welcome comments, criticisms and impressions.

Joe (El Peregrino Futuro)