The Way in April?

lmorris kesatotaSHAW.CA
Sat Dec 29 11:18:26 PST 2001

Hi Norman,
        Thank you for the reply, But time does not permit me to start the Way
at Le Puy So I will have to begin at St. Jean Pied.
        It would be nice to end the Compostal on St James Day but I think that
the refugios would be to full and busy at that time, so that is why I
decided to start my pilgrimage at the beginning of June or late May, and
that would put me at the end in the first part of July.
        My big concern is that I may be packing to much, and on the other hand
if I pack to light, then I will be walking the Camino always saying to
myself "I should have" (sounds like the begining of a pray) the story of
my life. :)
        I have not heard the term "Gites", I would say that it means refugio, I
am correct?

kind regards
leonard

Joe and Leonard:
Where are you beginning your Camino? If you are starting from Le Puy or
another point that is 500Km or more from the Spain/France border, April
or May would be a really nice choice of start date. The wildflowers are
incredible and the Gites are less crowded. All of the new births on the
farms are out and about. More than likely you will still encounter wet
conditions (mud and rain) but that is just part of the pilgrimage. You
should reach Santiago well before the crowds associated with St James
Day.

Norman Bone
Portland, OR