new refugio before Ponferrada

Barry Evans barryevans9aYAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 8 06:46:45 PST 2001

And now for something completely different!

...I promised the owner of a new private refugio to put out the word. It's at
Riego de Ameros, a lovely village between El Acebo and Molinaseca, so a good
destination from Rabanal or (in our case) El Ganso. (Sorry, someone asked for
the name of the senora with the key there, I don't remember.)
It's a new (summer 2001) refugio, halfway through the village on the left. And
it's delightful! Plenty of beds (40?) in groups of 8, and lots of overflow
mattresses downstairs, hot showers. Very sweet guy running it. I think it was
1000 pesetas each, so a tad pricey, but worth it if you're beat and don't want
to go on to Molinaseca (a real town). He was planning on keeping it open all
year. Hungry? Walk about 10 minutes to the only bar in the village, run by his
Mom and sister, good food.

 From there it's 2-3 hours to Ponferrada.
barryevans

=====
Barry Evans    (707) 476 8317
217 Second Street, Eureka, CA 95501
Our camino photos: http://us.geocities.com/barryevans9/camino

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat
in a dark room, especially if there is no cat."
                                                     Confucius