Potential Problems on this List:

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Wed Dec 5 20:19:50 PST 2001

Pilgrims and Potential Pilgrims:

Please remember that this list was created because the old UCLA list
disintegrated into a series of arguments between list members and then finally
ended when someone sent one or more messages to everyone (?) who had ever
posted to the list.  The previous list owner, Prof. D ( I don't remember his
last name. ) announced that he was closing the list effective that night
because of the problems.  Fortunately, Linda created this new list.

I hope that we can discuss controversial topics without attacking other list
members so that the list can survive.  I personally think that we should
consider controversial topics but realize that they may be based on faith, like
religion, and cannot be changed by discussing "facts".   Those of us who
believe in facts should realize that as well as those who have faith.

May I suggest, as have others, that we do several things.

First:  Think about the Subject of your post.  Don't hit the reply button which
attaches "Re:"  to the previous subject.  Change the Subject if you are
changing the topic so members can use the delete button ( as many have
suggested ) if they are not interested in the topic.

Second: Please consider when your discussion has become a dialog among a couple
of  people rather than all of the list members and move it to a private
discussion, off the list, with the "cc:" function.

Third:  Please move truly personal communications off the list and send them to
the appropriate individual.

Send me private e-mails if you don't agree with this.  Please don't clutter the
list with your comments.

Bill

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue