PRACTICAL MATTERS

Barry Evans barryevans9aYAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 4 11:12:29 PST 2001

Hi Anthony, my wife and I walked Aug 29-Sept 30/St Jean-Finisterre, 33 days,
one full rest day in Leon. 6 nights in (cheap) pensions, the rest in refugios.
We ate out all the time, and ate well (la comida es el amor), eg two cups of
cafe con leche plus a croissant for breakfast, often a cerveza with lunch (it
was hot, honest!), and either an ample cena por (or is it para?) peregrinos
(pilgrims' meal) or a good regular dinner (we don't eat meat or chicken, so
choices were limited), always wine (usually included). Cost us $45-50 per day
for the two of us.
barryevans

--- Anthony Dyson <anthony.dysonaWANEWS.COM.AU> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm refining my plans to walk the Camino in 2003.
> Could those who have actual recent experience of the walk comment on the
> following please?
> 1. Money, money, money. Given the rise in the number of people seeking
> to use refugios,  what would be a reasonable daily budget (including
> food/drink) if I was able to split about half and half between staying
> in refuges and staying in low-cost hostals etc? About $US25 perhaps? I
> appreciate that costs may well rise when Spain goes over to the Euro on
> January 1.
> 2. Tent. Does the rise in numbers mean that camping might well be a
> practical alternative in some places? I have a very lightweight shelter
> and am happy to carry it. Or is the small number of sites mean this is
> just not practical?
>
> Thanks,
>
> TonyD.

=====
Barry Evans    (707) 476 8317
217 Second Street, Eureka, CA 95501
Our camino photos: http://us.geocities.com/barryevans9/camino

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat
in a dark room, especially if there is no cat."
                                                     Confucius