Half a million or not ?? a thank you note

izhar izharaNETCABO.PT
Tue Dec 4 12:23:42 PST 2001

I raised this question because I was surprised reading about it in "Iberia"
and it did seem too big a number yet backed up by the book by
Aymery de Picaud.  I thank all those who wrote their opinions and I wanted
to write back to you with my conclusion, and I hope that it
will satisfy you all.
The small population in Europe at that time. coupled with the hard life
makes half a million sounds unreal, and we know that the book (which some
say was written by several people) was ordered by the Church, which had a
vested interested to make Santiago important.
On the other side the population WAS much more religious and Santiago was
very popular.
I guess that for me it makes sense that it was not half a million (average
1368 a day) but it certainly looked like that amount to the population that
lived on the way. It must have been an overwhelming flood of people. Maybe I
could compare it to the amount of spectators in a football match visiting
every day a small village these days.
It was a LOT !  :))

Wishing you a happy day,
Vale bene in pace deorum (Stay with good health in the peace of the gods)

Izhar Perlman

Izhar's Photography Web Site - www.izhar.tv